Date Night




Yesterday my husband and I had a date night, first one in a while. We didn't go anywhere or do very much other than watch Monk but it was truly so much fun. We were able to talk and hang out just the two of us. We normally go out with people or to the movies but we hardly stay in the house by ourselves. This date night made me realize that I really need this time with my husband.

 I finally understood what people meant when they said that marriage takes work. Well, at least I got a glimpse of what it meant. I was starting to feel really distant from R.J. the past few weeks, mainly because I hadn't spent time with him. We were always both doing something either at church, for a wedding, or meeting with someone and it was starting to wear on me. Then I realized this is how marriages start to get distant. Both people work full time so they hardly see each other and I'm sure if you have kids It's even worse.

I realized that we must be intentional in our marriage, It's not enough to live together. We must actively work at it. I have to continue to learn about my husband and love him. It's exciting to see if God wills it where we will be 30 years from now.

P.S. Sorry for the random straw but I just got them in the mail and I think they're adorable. Almost too cute to drink out of.

Leave a Comment

Karla said...

Hahah I love those vintage straws, where did you purchase them from? Aww I love date nights.. I dont care what anyone says they are much needed, a moment to unwind.. talk about things you forget to mention. Get out of the daily rut and routine!
I especially like date nights when the hubby and I get to dress up.. pretty much for each other. I always tell my husband that even after kids come I want a traditional date night!! I too hope God keeps me willing to work at this marriage years from now!

Ruthie Hart said...

I 100% agree with you about being intentional in your marriage. You live together and see each other all the time but you have to WANT to spend that quality time together void of all distractions. The past few nights we have turned off the TV and just spend us time together, it has been so refreshing!

Amanda said...

I completely and agree with you, in where you're coming from. It's so easy to let other "important" things get in the way of what really matters most, growing together with your hubs & God. Thanks for the reminder that every marriage needs time set apart & time to "work" on it. :) You're a blessing!!
XO

Melissa said...

Being intentional in your marriage is so important. Tim and I have also had times where we get comfortable with each other and the day to day and our relationship isn't nearly as awesome in those times as it is when we really stop to appreciate and serve each other.

Becky [This Road Called Vida] said...

Love the straw! It's always fun to drink out of a straw. You just inspired me to get some. =)
This is all so true. Marriage does take plenty of work... that's what makes it so precious. It's a union that should be cherished... it ain't easy, but it's so worth it!

Allyson Butler said...

I love what you said about being intentional. So glad y'all had a great date night!

Danie at Pasadya said...

So sweet! I agree...sometimes the best dates are just spent at your own home together. My husband and I have a modular sofa, so we love to scoot them all together to make a giant chair and rent something. Hope you guys get a lot more time together! :) OH! I totally forgot to say that I really like the new design!

" "