DIY Chalk Map




I made a chalk map! I saw this a while ago on Instagram and just really liked the way it looked. So I  thought when we move into our new home I'm going to make it, and make it I did :) It was definitely time consuming but not very difficult and I'm glad I made it, because this is way to expensive to buy. I made it for around $30. Might be a little more if you don't have some of the materials. More details on how to make it below....


You will need: Chalk Material (about 2 yards) Depends on how big you want it.
                        Staple Gun
                        Wood Polls
                        Staple Gun
                        Gorilla Glue or glue gun
                        Wood Stain (I used Espresso 273)
                        Chalk
                        Paint pen
                        Sisal Rope

First you need to draw your map (or anything else you like) with chalk. The best way to do this would be a projector, but if you don't have a projector (like me) you can do it free hand. It won't be prefect. Do chalk first because you can erase your mistakes.
Once your trace it to something you like, paint over the chalk with the paint pen. Then wait for it to dry, do more coats if needed.
While that is drying, stain the poles. RJ did two coats and I really like how they came out.


^^^This is the poles with one coat^^^

After everything dries you can glue the poles on the map (or the map on the poles, ha!). I used gorilla glue instead of the glue gun. Once that dried I stapled in on. Be VERY CAREFUL with this step. Make sure that your poles are straight. If you staple it crooked your map will hang crooked and bunch (trust me, I know :/) .

Once thats done you can add the rope. I stapled it to the sides of the poles. The length depends on where you hang it and how long you want it, so I would measure that first. 

Thats it! You have yourself a chalkboard map. I'm thinking of doing something different with the rest of the material in the kitchen! I'm so glad I found chalk material.

Leave a Comment

Mayra Romero said...

SOOO CUTE!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

M said...

Great idea, and that is nice room, very laid back ;)

besos,
M
The Flower Duet

M said...

Great idea, and that is nice room, very laid back ;)

besos,
M
The Flower Duet

Rochelle Z said...

This is amazing Daisy! I can't believe how well you drew it! Mine would come out horrible. I'm finding new things to do as well. It's so good to be artsy. I find it is a freeing thing and good therapy. My next project is glass etching. You should look into it! I'm sure you'd have fun :)

" "