Syrian Refugees




Something that has seemed to garner a whole lot of attention. I don't normally blog about politics because I think It's futile and I have way too many opinions for my own good. I do enjoy politics. It's something that I would have really enjoyed doing, but politics and Christians don't seem to mix well together. I have so many opinions on so many current events, but nothing has moved me more than the refugee crisis. All these innocent people fleeing from the civil war going on in Syria, is for lack of better words, heartbreaking. Yet, we have so many people on both sides of the fence on wether or not to take them in. Things seem to be split between democrats who think we should and republicans who seemed apposed to it. I can honestly say that yesterday I was too. I watched a lot of videos, did a lot of reading, and I even went so far as to comment on a lot of Facebook statuses ( I don't normally do that). I was so worked up! It made absolutely not sense to take these people in. It poses a security threat, it's more tax dollars, and we have plenty of people already in need. All really good reasons, don't you think? So what changed my mind?

But God. Those are my two favorite words in the bible. I felt convicted. Here I was considering all of the things that could go wrong, somewhere in there I forgot I was a Christian. I forgot to show the  love and compassion of God. How can non-believers be showing more compassion than Christians? I was reading Facebook statuses of people who don't believe in God, ready and willing, to welcome strangers. I think sometimes we forget that republican doesn't mean Christian. I believe that republicans are really great Americans, but we are called to win people over for Christ in all nations, not just America. We are called to be excellent Christians not great Americans. To show compassion and mercy to people in need. We are to share the love of Christ and the truth of His gospel. That's it. We are the good samaritan in the story. How can we turn our back on people? Instead we should be seeking ways to actively go an minister to them.

I say this with a heavy heart, knowing that my son grows up in a world very different than the one I knew at his age. One with war and violence that have no end in sight. I have a lot of thoughts on what we should do and where we should go, but none of them are with the gospel in mind. None of them with the desire to live fully for Christ, but only with my family's best interest in mind. I don't pray for peace, I believe that the time for peace is gone. Instead I pray for courage. Courage that when the time comes, and God requires my life from me, that I give it freely. Knowing that the suffering of this life is nothing in comparison with the Glory that is to come. Take heart, He has overcome the world. The battle is won. So when others are scrambling for answers in fear, be the peace that says He's already won.

Leave a Comment

Mayra Romero said...

I don't like talking politics (especially with you, you get so intense HAHA) but i couldn't agree more. I was thinking about this issue as well. I also watched Videos and read articles, but i couldn't help but feel terrible for these refugees. How can we turn our backs knowing what they will face if we don't help them? This is beyond politics. Political party doesn't make you a better person. What you do ,and how you react in these situations does.
"“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”-MLK

" "