Making Friends




We recently had our friends visit us for Thanksgiving. It was so nice having familiar faces here. We had such a great time just hanging out and talking. We didn't have to do a whole lot, and it was actually really refreshing. We miss our friends so very much, and we have been so blessed that they have been willing to come and visit. They're the best!
It has been somewhat easy making friends here. We have been really fortunate to have found an awesome church with some genuine Christians. That is my very best advice for military families, find a church right away (more on that later). Although we feel grateful for the people God has placed in our lives, we can't help but miss our friends back home. It wasn't until we talked to a friend who went through a similar situation and we realized we're not going to feel that way about people we just met. At least not right away. These are people we have known most of our lives, who have been there through so much. There is just no way to build that kind of connection with someone right away. Once we realized that, I think it was a lot easier to accept that things would be different. 

I remember having a particularly rough game night a few weeks ago. We had a misunderstanding of something that was said. It was brutal. I mean, I was about to cry, brutal! Although, I am sort of an easy crier. It took everything in me not to cry. Mostly because I didn't want our new friends to think I was insane. At the time I was frustrated because I thought to myself, I would have never had to explain myself back home. Back home they understand me. They get it! I swallowed my pride and just apologized and cleared things up. There are just so many more things that I have to think through with new friends. I have to be careful of what I say, how they're going to interpret it, and what they're going to think of me. It's hard for me not to get wrapped up in little things that I say, and wonder if they're forming an opinion about me. I still don't know what the right thing to do is. Most of the time I play it safe and just try to read people. It's frustrating! But I have come to terms with it taking some time. There will come a point where I feel comfortable enough to joke around and not have to worry. I have also accepted that I am probably not going to be the best of friends with everyone. That is really tough for me! I want to be best friends with EVERYBODY! But it won't always work out that way, and I just need to accept it, and be a really good friend to the people who allow me to be. It has been an adjustment to say the least (one thats not over), but has also been really great meeting people from different backgrounds than ours. It opens your eyes to so much more. This is definitely an experience, but we're growing. 
" "