The people that change our life





We have been in the military for two years now! Wow that time just disappeared. It's strange because at the time I remember thinking, six years is so long and that it was going to seem like an eternity. Now we're past the two year mark and I can't believe that we only  have four years left.  When we first signed up a big part of me was excited for the "could be", but another part of me was really sad for the "could have been". But I have to say without a doubt, this is where God wants us. I remember having that conversation with RJ about joining the ARMY. He just didn't see where God wanted him to go, and it seemed like every door back home was closing.  Long story short, here we are station in NY.

 I'm not sure how many people get life changing experiences but I seem to get them by the bag full (is that a saying?). God just seems to want to impart remarkable wisdom in my life, like sprinkles on a cupcake. You don't have to look very hard to find remarkable stories in the military. You also don't need to look very hard to find stories of suffering, heartbreak, courage, and people who come from a completely different life than yours.

I remember sitting on the couch talking to this guy from RJs work. He has to be one of the most (if not the most) humble guys I have ever met. He grew up pretty poor in Detroit, Michigan and later joined the military. When they showed him the house he would be living in, he was amazed! You know, the "crappy" on post housing everyone complains about. He told the lady that it was huge compared to where he grew up. Huge?! Sometimes I think that It's a privilege to grow up with nothing because it gives you incredible character. I'm not sure what words I would use to describe him and his wife, but I think that content is the only one that comes to mind. Seems like such a simple word, right? But it is so rare. So incredibly rare, like a shakespeare signature. It seems that you find so little contentment in the world anymore.

 I cherish these "chance" meetings with people that have come into our life for such a small amount of time but have made the greatest impact.  I will never forget a card that our friend wrote to us before he left that said my life is forever better because of you guys. I don't think he could have know how much that would impact us, but it did. It was like a huge reassurance from God that we made the right choice. Both RJ and i have wondered if we made the right choice by moving so far from our family. How would God use us? Would we make a difference? Is this where we were suppose to be? It seems the longer we're here the more that doubt fades away. I don't think that we made a rash choice by joining the military or that God is working out a bad decision we made. The longer we're here, the more I see how God worked everything out for us to be here. I think the same is true from everyone we meet (like my father in law would say, It's like theres a God).

I can't say that It's been easy, that there hasn't been times where I wish I was home, or have literally said I miss my mom (which I didn't think was possible to utter out loud). But it has been an incredible experience! No, not the ARMY, but God. We have an opportunity to experience Christians from all over the world. They each have unique gifts, and personalities, and stories. The more people we meet, the more we fall in love with God. To meet someone that has lived an entirely different life than you, but they love God just the same. It gives me such an incredible sense of hope. To add to the things that I am thankful for in this experience, this one is at the very top of my list. I OFTEN get bogged down with what seems to be an increasing disdain for Christians in the world. It's really easy for me to feel alone. But through all of the people I meet, I am encouraged that God is working!! Even if the rest of the world doesn't want to acknowledge it. There is a very real, very present God in NY, and He seems to be constantly moving His people around.

The card we received from our friend went on to say that he hopes to impact someone else the way we have impacted him. What I wish I could have told him is that he already has. I don't know that any of our friends know that. It's not by giving awesome gifts, or killer parties, or even particularly fun activities, but just by being them. By giving me a sense of hope that i don't think i could have gotten any other way. It's like those scenes in movies when you see the girl the guy likes and everything is in slow motion and bright. Is that a weird description to use? Thats just how I feel, ok! I feel a bright, slow motion, sense of emotion towards my friends. This seems to be getting weirder the longer I type. So I will just say that people have a lot more to offer than we often see, and everyone can impact your life if you just allow them to. Which now that I'm typing this out seems like I could have summarized this whole thing in a couple of sentences. But if you powered through all that, you're awesome, and I love you. But don't worry I won't picture you in a slow motion, bright light kind of way.

Leave a Comment

A GAL NEEDS said...

Hey just stopped in as I was browsing my feed, and I really appreciate your comments so much! For one thing, we appreciate those great people who go into the military, who work hard and take the oath to serve and protect our country. I also appreciate your direct comments about how much more rare Christianity is getting in the world, but your feeling that it is still alive and well. Thanks for helping to keep it that way! Christians do need to be more vocal and also quit being so divided about things. Basically, do you love Christ as your Savior? Great, so do I! Let's find our common ground and support each other, not find our differences and argue about them! Have a wonderful Christmas and thanks for your service!

Mayra Romero said...

my favorite kind of post! I like to picture you picturing me in slow motion ;)

Miss you Daisy!

Patrick Barrett said...

Thank you so much for giving me access to your site. I am again amazed at the depth of emotion that you have expressed in this commentary. It is a beautiful thing to see someone share so deeply their true feelings about life and God. I have felt a special connection with you and your little family since you started coming to our church. I know that both our lives are full of busy days, but after the New Year, I would really like to get together and set a date and time that works for both of us. I pray that all of you have a blessed and safe Christmas. Love you all and I cannot forget to ask you give my little friend, Jed, a big hug from Ms. Sonya.

" "