Studying Nutrition





I finally saw Fed Up a few weeks ago, and I have to say it is one of the best documentaries I've seen. This is coming from a reformed (in the process) sugarholic. I love sugar! More specifically chocolate is my thing.  I literally ate it by the spoonfuls in the form of Nutella. Chocolate has always been the hard thing to cut out when I make lifestyle changes. I think mostly because I never really believed how bad it is for you. Bring in Fed Up. That movie was super informative, and you know I'm a sucker for conspiracies. I just thought it made a very compelling argument and they made me a believer. After doing some research myself and finding out that, yea, sugar is pretty bad for you. It was just eye opening to how much we don't know about the foods we eat, and how in the dark companies try to keep us.

It also encouraged me to keep studying nutrition. The main reason being that its something I have always struggled with, but mostly because I don't understand it. Ive heard terms like eat less, calories in vs calories out, smaller portions, but what does it all mean? I think when you understand something, you do it a lot better. Its so much more complex than saying, eat smaller portions. It matters what you put in your body, not all calories are created equal, and its not the same for everyone. Nutrition like anything else in life, is not a one size fits all. And one of the bigger reasons I want to keep studying is to hopefully help other people. In the film they follow a few kids who are obese and they go through what they eat in a day. And as easy as it would be for me to sit there and judge how those parents are letting there kids eat junk, I think a lot of them don't know. I'm reminded of how I grew up with my aunts making super fatty things, and eating sweet bread, and my mom making me eat everything on my plate. Thanks fast metabolism and my mom also forcing us to drink green smoothies (ugh). They just didn't know! Growing up Mexican, comes with a manual and fatty foods are on the top of that list. My husband likes to say that Mexicans just cook whatever taste good, they don't care about how healthy it is ( bless them, because It's good).

So how do we balance good food and food that taste good? I'm still learning that. I cant say that I have completely cut sugar out of my life. But I can say that I have cut back and I am a lot more mindful of what I eat. Its still a work in progress and I'm still learning. I have lost 7lb and there is still a lot more to go. I hope to change not only the way I eat, but the way I see food. I am my own first customer if you will. I hope to learn and change myself and in the process teach people about what they're eating. I'm really enjoying it so far,  I hope to always continue to learn about it, and teach some  people in the process.

Leave a Comment

" "